Thursday 24 June 2010

The Endevour Award



When I was 12 years old I started playing squash, every week for 6 years. I played for my club and at my peak I represented the East of Scotland u16's. My sister still plays and was far more committed than I was to it. At the start of university I went to a couple of their training sessions but they weren't quite as welcoming to young, shy new starts as I thought they might be. And besides I had discovered other challenges to growing up and independent living.

I would go and play and coach and compete. Every week for 6 years. I can count on my one hand the number of competition matches I actually won. . . 1. Towards the end of the season our club would hold an awards night to raise money and acknowledge those who had performed particularly well across the club- from veterans to juniors.

This was to be my last awards night before I started uni'.

I won my first and last ever trophy- The Endeavor Award. Mine was the first name on the plaque under the cup. It went with some of these words:

" . . .
She had shown determination and commitment.

Coming week on week without fail. Helping younger members find their feet and competing without always winning*
. . .
"
courtesy of www.weheartit.com

Yes, I got an award for trying.



*or winning at all

No comments:

Post a Comment