Thursday 10 May 2012

The kindness of strangers

Tonight it was quarter past seven in the evening and I was in Aldi getting dinner.

It was wet, I had walked a mile in the pouring rain and was soaked.

Did I mention that I had done a full days work and some?

In a busy local Aldi with families filling their trollies I was there searching for something quick and easy. A pizza and a glass of wine.

An end to a long day.

Did I mention that Husband was in London ?

So I was going to be heading back to an empty flat and wet washing that needed hanging, dirty washing that needed washing and plates that needed cleaning. And that was just to keep the flat under control- its really not., its in deperate need of a good hoovering.

I prowled, grabbed my pizza and white wine and went to stand patiently in the now long queues. An elderly couple in front of me with a trolly full of shopping nudged me in front with a "Go on, you only have a couple of things, you wont take long"

I thanked them for their kindness and stood and waited. 5 minutes later the other cashier called and suggested that people at the end of the 1 queue we were all standing in to move towards her newly opened till.

Again encouraged by the elderly couple now behind me to go head and get to the other till I made a move only to be beaten there by a young family with well organised Mum in tow who on seeing me called out - "Let the lady past, she only have 2 wee things"

Two sets of strangers both showed me such kindness that I couldn't not share this with you.

Thank you to my surprising Aldi Angels who truly rescued my day.

I got the wet washing hung, the dirty washing washed and the plates are soaking. Well you can't have everything can you???


2 comments:

  1. This made me smile. Strangers being kind reminds you of the good in the world, good that you deserve.

    As for the cleaning up, two out of three isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa-Marie, it doesn't happen often but when it does it restores your soul a bit!

    ReplyDelete